Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Yellow Looking Lumps On Tonsils

Buss - Hinduism for Dummies

The "for / for Dummies" books are of very variable quality. While some offer excellent introductions for example, in certain PC applications, I already had one in his hand, which were confusing and crude content.

Religious Themes compact display is certainly not the lightest discipline (and more delicate than in "Visual Basic for Dummies"). I think it is the author Johanna Buss here successful. She is an expert on Indologist and India, and it shows well and has the feeling of reading an expert.

Although in non-Christian religiosity very interested, I'm in Hinduism - from individual gods characters - often and quickly lost the thread. The book has me now made it clear that this is not only me but also to (apparent) contradictions in Hinduism itself - so there is heaven and hell, and ancestor worship, but also reincarnation, there are many gods, but often these are called manifestations of a god seen, Muslims in India are a minority of only about 13% - but India is the country with the third most Muslims of the world.

And of the Jains, I had never heard before.

Summary: Informative and balanced, but - although intended, but for me a little too redundant.


**** (four out of five stars)

0 comments:

Post a Comment